Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Long Walk

This is a vignette that my Partner wrote about how she felt the first time I was hospitalized. You can view it on her Redbubble site. She will be adding a lot more vinette's to her site so you may want to book mark it.

Here is The Long Walk

The elevator hisses shut behind me. Ahead of me lays the terrifying walk to those doors with the ominous sign: Restricted Area. Behind those doors lie the mostly dead, the partially alive, and their loved ones who keep silent, tearful vigil. The Intensive Care Unit.

I am one of those keeping vigil.


Each step comes in slow motion. I hate this walk and the questions it brings. Will she still be there, clinging to life, tied to so many machines and tubes? Or will I round the corner to see her door open, room empty, her body in the morgue waiting for me to dispose of it? Will she have slipped away, alone, desperate, unaccompanied into that dark mystery of death we all fear so much? What if she gave up and left while I had gone home for a troubled sleep and a change of clothes? What if, during my long drive back to the hospital, they tried to call
me, to tell me to hurry, that there wasn’t anything more they could do and it was time to say goodbye, but they couldn’t reach me and she died alone? Would she know that I didn’t want it that way? That I wanted one more chance to tell her that I loved her and that my life would end when she left? That I tried the very best I could to keep her alive?

My footsteps echo in the deserted hallway. Left turn, five steps, right turn, thirty steps. Just one more left turn and I would have my answer. My head is screaming inside. I can’t breathe.

No, no, turn back the clock. This can’t be real. This isn’t happening to us.

Please let her be alive. Give us one more day together. Just one more day.
Please?

Left turn. For today, the answer is….



1 comment:

  1. A terrible thing to live with an illness that no-one recognizes for years on end. And I can sympathise with that long walk down the corridor. I was the one at the end of the corridor once, when I had cancer and can imagine that Ian, my husband must have felt the same.

    After 8 months of chemotherapy and 4 months of radiotherapy I finally collapsed with no immune system and had to have 3 blood transfusions. I now have a lot of my old energy back, but not all. I am always tired, but have so many things to live for. I'm so glad you feel you are also getting your life back! FranEvans.

    ReplyDelete